- Due to the time constraint of 8-10 hours, most of my research comprised of secondary research. I have also made suitable assumptions wherever more information was needed.
- Owing to time constraints, I had to skip wireframing. I drew a few rough sketch and jumped directly to designing the interfaces.
- Swiggy as well as the partner restaurants have the technical capability to execute a food scheduling feature & a subscription service.
- Partner restaurants cooperate with Swiggy to help them create food subscription packs.
- The food scheduling feature is launched first. After taking the customer response and usage into consideration, the subscription feature is launched in a couple of months.
- Order scheduling behaviour of the users can be recorded and be used to curate subscription packs for the user.
ABOUT PREORDERING / SCHEDULING
Preordering is a service provided by business to their users that allows them to order products scheduled for a later launch / delivery. Businesses may or may not allow the users to specify their preferred date and time of delivery.
What are the advantages?
1. For Businesses:
- Improves inflow of money
- Accurate prediction of product demand
- Number of succesful deliveries 📈
2. For Customers:
- More convenience, peace of mind
- Avoiding last minute hassle and panic
- Perks provided by businesses on preordering
Preordering in food-tech businesses
- Companies like Uber Eats and GrubHub offer a food preordering feature (not in India).
- Swiggy also launched Swiggy Scheduled in a couple of metro cities in 2018 (on a trial basis), but the current status of this feature is unknown.
Use cases of food order scheduling
1. Bachelors, Hostel Dwellers...
- Mayank is a bachelor working in Mumbai.
- He wants to have a nice dinner when he comes back home after a long day at the office.
- Can’t afford a maid to cook for him, therefore usually depends on food delivery apps.
- Therefore, he schedules his dinner order in advance, so that his dinner gets delivered at his preferred time.
2. Special Occasions and Parties...
- Suraj is a businessman and a father to a son.
- He wants to host a party for his son’s birthday.
- He wants the party to be perfect & doesn’t want any last minute hassles to ruin it.
- Therefore, he preorders all the required food items, so that they arrive right in time for the birthday party.
3. Gym goers, fitness freaks...
- Vinay is a regular gym goer and follows a strict vegan diet.
- He has to spend a lot of time in preparing his pre & post workout meals.
- Procuring the ingredients is also difficult.
- Therefore he regularly schedules his order from his preferred restaurant and saves a ton of time.